Review #12 - N5 Fast Foods : Old North Coast Road

So recently I have been following that Facebook page called Bunny Chow Hunter.  I believe the purpose of that Facebook page is to help people identify where they can catch a good Bunny Chow in their town. 
Members on this page are going wild leaving their reviews which are mostly positive.  I for one have not posted any reviews or comments. I just visit to see what the people are saying. 

But what the Bunny Chow Hunters page has done is help introduce me to restaurants that I haven't heard about, or those that are newly established. 

One of these establishments is N5 Fast Foods situated in Liberty Centre in the old North Coast Road.  I have been itching to visit this place for a long time and finally got my chance this past Friday.  

I , and 3 other colleagues from work were supposed to go initially, but it was the last day of work for one of our colleagues who had resigned , so we decided to take a big crew of about 13. 

Lucky for us , when we got to N5 Fast Foods the lunch time rush had subsided and we were all able to get seated easily.  The Liberty Centre is a very classy sports / function venue and I was very impressed with it.  

Almost all of our crew ordered bunny's and N5 has a very unique offering.  Their bunny loaves are cut horizontal so that gives it a "boat" look. And because you now have this larger surface area, you can do so much more with the presentation of this bunny.  

***pic above is their mutton bunny. So sorry for not posting a pic of the bunny I chowed. I was too hungry***

So N5 is able to serve you two different curries in the same bunny.  They just create a partition in the middle and serve you the best of both worlds.  I am a big fan of this idea because in the late 90s and early 2000s I used to order a mutton curry and kebaab chutney mix bunny.  It was my favourite thing at the time - 2 curries in one.  

Almost everyone in my crew ordered the mix bunnies. I for one ordered the Mutton Kebaab and Prawn Chutney bunny because the restaurant ran out of Mutton Curry during the lunch time rush. They were in the process of preparing the next batch but my crew and I were not willing to wait so long.  

They say that everything good happens for a reason, and I am glad I ordered the Kebaab and Prawn Chutney bunny. Let me talk about the flavour. 

So usually when you buy or make Kebaab chutney, you will always have the following issues ie: 
Too much tomato / acidic flavour or
Too much oil or
Kebaabs not tasting good due to poor herb, spice and meat mix.  
When I took the first bite of their Kebaab chutney , yoh - I was taken aback.  None of the flops I mentioned above.  I was so happy.

I even told my crew that the N5 Fast Foods Kebaab chutney may just be better than what we cooking at home.  

I must have finished that one half of the bunny in under 3 minutes flat.  I was too hungry and this chow was too tasty.  
Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention that they served the bunny with a top carrot salad . They also give you vinegar chillies and carrot free.  

So once I finished the Kebaab part of the bunny I had to tackle the " main course" . N5 Fast Foods serve their prawns shell on, so you have to remove them before you chow.  I prefer the prawns shell on, because then you know you getting fresh prawns and not getting that rubbery precooked prawns from the packet.  

The prawn chutney was even better than the Kebaab chutney.  It was smooth and tasty, a little bit on the hot side, but not too bad.  The chutney came with around 5 medium prawns. Well worth it.   

So for R120 for this hybrid / 2 in 1 bunny, it was worth the price. As I am writing this post, I am anticipating my next visit to N5 fast foods.  

So this is my verdict out of 10:

Service : 7 

Quality and quantity of meat : 8

Taste : 8

Size of bunny : 11/10 ( this thing is massive)

My overall rating of this bunny is a 8.5/10.

I have to go back and try their mutton curry bunny. I hope it is as good as their Kebaab and Prawn Chutney bunny.  

The only real issue I experienced was that N5 is still in the process of getting their card machine sorted out.  Had to pay via eft. Otherwise the overall experience was spectacular.  







Comments