Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Review #3 - Govenders Eaton Road


Last week Friday, the crew and I went looking for a place to fix my radiator from my Cortina. Most of the places that repair radiators are around Umbilo so whilst we were in the area, we decided to visit Govender's on Eaton Rd.

The place has been transformed into a classy joint from the last time I visited it. There is a large restaurant area and the bar area has also been revamped a bit. Though it has gone through a change for the better, It still reminds you of a setup 15 years ago. Really takes you back.

We ordered 3 quarter mutton and a litre of Fanta orange. The bunnies were priced at R25 each and the litre was R11. Service was very quick even though a lack of waiters.

When our bunnies arrived, they were steaming hot - you could actually see the steam coming of the sides as well. This was a good sign because it was a fresh curry. The size of the bunny was impressive as well.

I had difficulty taking the first bite because this bunny was still hot. I had noticed a lack of gravy in mine, so I asked the waitress to bring over some more gravy. She did so , in a large bowl and also added a potato as well.

I let the bunny cool down a bit before I tackled it. The curry reminded me of a home cooked mutton curry - something like what my mother or granny would cook. It was good - not too hot and spicy - just right. The bunny was packed with mutton and potatoes and this was the first time in a long time that I felt as if I couldn't finish it.

I felt satisfied after having this bunny. One of my colleagues didn't like it that much because he compares every bunny to the ultimate bunny chow joint. I am not going to mention the name - you'll will find out soon.

My overall rating of this bunny is 7/10. I have nothing bad to say about it except for the lack of gravy.

Likes:
Size
Price
Taste
Service

Dislikes:
Meat not of a high quality
lack of Gravy

No comments:

Post a Comment