Friday, October 2, 2009

Bunny Chow Barometer - A Scam











Has anyone ever attended this event? I went twice a few years ago. The atmosphere was tops and the crowd - well you know us chaarou's.

All the different competitors were there showing off their makeshift stalls and some go out of their way and hire these Wedding Decor people to put the fancy brasswear and drapes to make the stalls look good.

In any case I think the is the biggest scam ever. For example, the first year I went, they called out the three finalists. I then saw some aunty's looking very excited and already hugging each other. I thought "what kind with these aunties?". Then they called out the winner and these aunties didnt look surprised. It seemed like they already knew they won.

It so happens that I also bought a bunny from this same establishment. People, I wouldnt lie on this blog - the bunny was $h1t. It was too hot - alot of oil and the list goes on.

I lost faith in the bunny chow barometer as I make it my habit to go and visit these establishments to taste the bunny and rate it personally. Most of them give 100% only during the competition.

Have you ever noticed that if you go to a bunny chow joint that has won the competition previously - they feel that it is right to charge you R35 for a quarter even though they now selling you a funny bunny.

Do you know how these people are chosen to be finalists? Just like Pop Idols. You have to sms a few thousand times and vote for your favourite bunny chow establishment. Trust me - I know. I got a connection from Stanger who owns a Take Away and his bunnies are top stuff. Our whole family sent sms'es to vote for him but our attempts were too minor to compete with the big guys from Durban who buy sms bundles and vote. It was sad because I knew for a fact that his bunny chow would compete with the Durban establishments. He has this Indian aunty that works for him - she is one of the top cooks in Stanger and she cooks the curry every day and maintains consistency with the taste. I am sure that you'll have visited some of your far relatives from Stanger and you'll had lunch/supper there and the food was bomb - now you will know how this aunty cooks. And everyone knows that the farm style cooking is the best - like an outside fire chow.

I am going to boycott this event in the future. Wait for my letters to the editor in the Post and Rising Sun.

1 comment:

  1. totally agree with you - the real winners in the PMB leg was definitely an establishment called The Curry Court which has been open for 20 years!!! When they were asking the crowd to call out who they thought the winners were - they all screamed CURRY COURT , like everybody called out their name, and when they announced another winner they all went ahhhh and left left the venue, not many people evn stayed for thr prize giving. Everyone couldnt believe it they were so dissapointed!!! I know in my heart curry court are the real winenrs, otherwise they would not have sold out in food also on the day. I went around and everyone still had curry exxcept them. Flawed competition - they public should decide not judges

    ReplyDelete